August 29, 2011

Review: Fury by Elizabeth Miles

Hello everyone!

I'm so sorry for being MIA! Wow, I've never been away from the blogosphere for so long! Not even when I had my final exams or my graduation!*sobs* And I really missed it... Anyway, I'm not going to bore you with my melodrama now... But you know how it is: life happens. I didn't even have an Internet connection until recently. So here's me trying get back on track... Again. *sigh*

***

I got the chance to read a few awesome debut novels in the past few weeks and I'll try to post my reviews for most of them asap. I'm going to start with Fury, because it comes out tomorrow and I want to encourage you to pick it up!:)

Fury (The Fury Trilogy #1)
by Elizabeth Miles


Pub.: August 30th 2011 
by Simon Pulse
Hardcover, 352 pages
Excerpt / Book DepositoryAmazon


Sometimes sorry isn't enough....

It’s winter break in Ascension, Maine. The snow is falling and everything looks pristine and peaceful. But not all is as it seems...

Between cozy traditions and parties with her friends, Emily loves the holidays. And this year’s even better--the guy she’s been into for months is finally noticing her. But Em knows if she starts things with him, there’s no turning back. Because his girlfriend is Em’s best friend.

On the other side of town, Chase is having problems of his own. The stress of his home life is starting to take its toll, and his social life is unraveling. But that’s nothing compared to what’s really haunting him. Chase has done something cruel...something the perfect guy he pretends to be would never do. And it’s only a matter of time before he’s exposed.

In Ascension, mistakes can be deadly. And three girls—three beautiful, mysterious girls—are here to choose who will pay.

Em and Chase have been chosen.

Wow! This book was so not what I expected it to be! It was … different. Creepy. Confusing. Twisted. Unpredictable. Imaginative. Mesmerizing. Funny. Insightful. Profound. Realistic. Suspenseful. Dark. Edgy. Heartbreaking.  Yet… Beautiful and very interesting. In one word, unputdownable!:)

I must confess that I wasn’t impressed with the beginning of the book – in fact, I found it a bit boring, with all the usual high school drama going on. But then the Furies came into the picture and suddenly everything became more interesting, twisted and oh, so deliciously creepy! If I had a hard time getting into this book in the beginning, by the end I was completely compelled by it, holding my breath and gripping the edges of my seat because of all the tension and suspense it got!

The story is told in 3rd person, alternatively from Em’s (Emily) and Chase’s POV. They are just some teenagers who try to get through high school and over all the drama surrounding them. All they want is to blend in and to be happy for a change.  But in trying to do so, they make bad decisions and hurt people they care about – and the Furies are right there, watching, and not a bit pleased with what’s going on. And of course they can’t just let things go, because Em and Chase have to pay for their mistakes and for the pain they have caused. And that’s when the story becomes a scary, nightmarish roller coaster.

Though very mysterious and beautiful in their ethereal forms, the Furies are dangerous, cruel and they love playing maddening games in the name of justice – apparently, they have a reason for all the creepy things they're doing. And you never know what to expect from them. You never know where they are going to be next. What are they going to do. Who is going to die next. What’s the reason for their twisted actions (or if there is any reason at all or they are just doing it all for fun). What’s their purpose. What's behind that beautiful, seductive smile. But for now, Em and Chase are their playthings, and though they are in constant danger and all kind of crazy things happen around them, nobody believes them. Because they don’t even know for sure what’s going on. Not that anyone could actually help them or stop the Furies, once they’ve been marked by them. But it’s too late anyway. There’s no escaping from the destiny the Furies have prepared for them. Because sometimes, being sorry is not enough. Although... Maybe true love can change something in the end. If so, what's the price?

All things considered,  the end was totally unexpected. Not a big cliffhanger, but still crazy. It left important questions unanswered and it made me way too impatient for the next book. I love Elizabeth Miles' writing style, it’s very imaginative and engaging, so I will definitely pick up the next books in the series and recommend them to everyone who wants to read a fresh, delicious, creepy YA series!:) Also, I LOVE the US cover!


Here's the UK trailer:




*Review based on the e-galley of the book I received from Simon and Schuster via their GalleyGrab program! Thank you guys!:)

xoxo
Deea's Signature

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic review! Exactly all these moments made me angry despite that Elizabeth Miles writes beautifully. I'm also glad someone else wasn't happy with Wildefire. Both books pretty much got the same marks from me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments! ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...